Friday, March 2, 2018

It Begins! 2018 March Madness Tournament of Books!


For the past four years, I have hosted a March Madness Tournament of Books for Oak Hills 3rd - 5th Graders. As March approached this year, I was worried that maybe our students would feel a less enthusiastic about it since we have done it several times before. With that in mine, I still pushed ahead, surveyed classes for their favorite books, created the huge bracket on the wall and produced the paper bracket for voting. Yesterday I began chatting with classes about it and I was greeted with applause by one class and a great deal of enthusiasm by the rest! That doesn't happen every day! So I am thrilled to say, here we go, 2018 March Madness Tournament of Books.  This year I am not including any past winners into the "Sweet 16". So that means the series Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Harry Potter and Sisters are not included despite their continued popularity. I also made an exception for a nonfiction series and included the "Who Was" books. This series is one of the most read in our library collection.  After all of our 3rd - 5th Graders finish filling out their paper bracket, we will begin the voting using Google Forms. Stay tuned for the results!